Friday, February 20, 2009

Feb. 20-Homeless In Houston-Resolution begins

Remember the poem in a prevous post: "The Road Less Traveled" by Robert Frost? Well the two roads are diverging, and now Jim and I must choose the path that will change our entire lives. This is one of those times that we recognize the gravity of our choice in the next week.


FINALLY! Jim and I met with Marathon, and they finally acknowledged that we had a problem, and they felt very badly about our situation, and here were our two options. Option #1 will be Jim being offered a job in Findlay, Ohio, with their National Operation. This job would entail at least 50% travel and not employ his unique set of skills in the security industry. Honestly, Findlay, Ohio, is not a place I would really want to live, but then neither was Africa, California, or Washington State, and they all turned out better than I thought. I'm learning to NEVER say NEVER. I think we are held accountable for our NEVERS. At least I am!

The second option is a very sweet severance package. So, this weekend will now be filled with the burden being lifted-finally, and two very good decisions that will lead to two very different paths. I am just thankful that now we have seen on paper that Marathon wants to help us whichever path we choose. That will make the chosen transition much much easier.

My faith-not in God, but in the whole situation has waivered; I've had some really down days, but it seems like "all things are working together for the good..." I know one thing through all this... I don't do limbo very well. But, maybe we are now getting ready to leave limbo and move toward some type of certainty based on our decisions. As Jim so aptly put it, we are now back in control of our lives, not the govt of Equatorial Guinea, and not Marathon. We can choose, and choice is a good thing!

Also, on the heels of this day, I had applied last November with MPRI for a teaching position in Africa. So, I get an e-mail when we got home from our Marathon mtg asking if I'm interested in a consultant position in Mali, Uganda, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Talk about timing!

So, the drama continues to unfold, but at least we have a better understanding of what Marathon will do for us after the 28th of Feb.

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment