Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday, Feb. 6th-Homeless in Houston-God's Balance

Well, let's see where do I start today---I need to back track about God's balance in this unfolding drama. I think in a previous blog I referred to Janet Hall, the lady I met on the plane coming from Atlanta to Houston. She had been in Malaga, nearly missed her flight in Paris, and ended up as a seat mate next to me from Atlanta to Houston. Normally, I prefer not to yak on the plane, but I overheard her conversation about being in Malaga, Spain, and I had to ask her, since I had lived in southern Spain for two years, and Jim and I had married in Gibraltar. She and I talked non-stop for the entire trip. She told me her story-living overseas in Mexico and Puerto Rico, and her husband's working for Maersk Shipping Lines. Jim had provided security for Maersk in Conakry, Guinea, and also understood shipping container challenges when he was security director for the Port of Tacoma. I shared my sad saga.

She left me her number, told me about her blog, and given me her e-mail should I need her. So, I took her up on it. She is also a Christian and told me about her church, the Fellowship of the Woodlands, near where we would be staying. Jim and I took both her and her husband, Charles, out to dinner on Friday night, and it was like we had known them forever. We joined them for church on Sunday, then she invited me to a Bible Study on Wed. am. The study was similar to one I had attended many years ago when I was a stay at home mom. This was a wonderful study, and Janet shared our refugee experiences with some of the ladies, who volunteered to pray. I am convinced their prayers brought about the answer we received on Thursday, since they were all praying on Wed at 200 pm when Jim was at Marathon discussing trying to return to EQ Guinea.

Then, Janet invited us to dinner on Thursday night. Little did we know that we would be in mourning over losing the job-since the dictator (President Obiang) decided that Jim was "persona non grata." We decided to go to Janet's and Charles' rather than sit around and feel sorry for ourselves crying in our beer. It was the best thing we could have done. They have a beautiful home, are gracious hosts, and we keep discovering ways we are all four similar-this has to be a God thing as being with them has been so easy, no pressure! Jim and I were really relaxed, the dinner was fabulous, their home is fabulous, and we felt very comforted and cared for by strangers.

Lessons I am learning are that:

1. God does NOT make mistakes.
2. When He takes something out of your life, he balances it with something in your life-ergo-lost the job, but gained some neat friends. We also are thanking God for the blessings of family and friend who really care.
3. Tonight, we are having dinner with Jim's old boss from Shell. Jim will meet with Marathon Global Security to decide what his future with Marathon holds.

Either I am totally nuts, in shock, or at peace that all that has transpired is God's moving in our lives. Now, He has not answered the prayers like I wanted them, but my experience tells me that when He says "no" he has another plan.

There are so many details that I cannot comprehend:

1. Our car (one and only is in California)-some of our stuff is in San Jose,CA, the rest is in Malabo in our home and at the Port being held by the EQ Gov't.
2. We have a home at the Hilton Refugee Camp until Feb. 28th, then God is already out there.
3. Marathon wants to retain Jim and have told him about an offer in Findley, Ohio. Where on God's green earth is that? The irony is that Jim did apply with Marathon several years ago for a position with Marathon in-you guessed it-Findley, Ohio; he was turned down. Isn't that a hoot!

So, stay tuned for the drama of "Homeless in Houston" to unfold...

No comments:

Post a Comment