Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feb.22nd-Homeless in Houston-The Final Week

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
Matthew 5:9

"...You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God."
James 4:2

"Go ahead and be anry. You do well to be angry-but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. An don't tay angry. Don't go to bed andgry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life."
Ephesians 4:26-27

"But now, put off all such things as anger, rage, malice, slander, abusive language fom your mouth."
Col. 3:8

"Where do yo think all these appaling wars and quarrels come frm? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deeep inside yourselves."
James 4:1

These are just a few of the scripture references from Pastor Kerry Shook and his wife, Chris, at the Fellowship of the Woodlands Church today. Jim and I needed to hear this, since last night, we let the "Devil shove us" as Chris so aptly put it, and we fell into some anger and stress. We did resolve the issue before the "sun went down on our wrath..." but the sermon today really spoke to both of us. We must remain focused on our relationship to God first, each other second, and the path God is setting before us third.

Just when we think we have God's path figured out He throws us a curve ball. This morning we woke up to yet another of these curves on this rollercoaster ride we've been on this past month. I told Jim living with him was like "whiplash." I won't go into detail just yet, but it's another opportunity back in Africa-no, not Equatorial Guinea, that's for sure; nevertheless it would mean returning to Africa. So, the stars are lining up, but here we are less than one week out, and we still do not know where we will be this time next week. God is the only one who knows. I do know that one thing I'm having to learn is that we will be living out of five suitcases for at least 6 more months in the best of circumstances, and much much longer in the worst of circumstances. So, is the lesson, stuff doesn't matter? Just when I think I've learned this lesson, I'll see someone on a bike, a Total Gym commercial on tv, see a bag of Splenda, and think about some of the clothes that the Guineans have (as well as Jim's Marine Mess Dress Uniform), and I get sad thinking that we will probably never see them again. I'm not angry, just sad about the loss.

I'll swear, if I didn't have faith that God was in this mess, I would literally lose it! Jim says that God is trying to teach us patience. Duh! This is definitely a classroom, just not one of the elective courses I would have chosen. I guess this is one of those "required" courses for the spiritual Ph.D in Patience!

Anyway, it's a gloriously beautiful day here in Houston. A storm came in yesterday and cooled things off-it had been in the late 60's. We are planning to meet Debbie and Brian Hodgeson, the lady I sponsored in Equatorial Guinea, for dinner this evening at a restaurant halfway between the Refugee Camp and their home. We are looking forward to seeing them, since they are scheduled to return to Malabo in March/April.

This week should prove to be interesting. I'll try to stay busy finishing up taxes, doing the final pedicure, micro dermibrasion, and hair do before leaving for??????? Wherever??????? If I go, I need to go looking as good as I can for this next leg of the journey-I guess "Vanity, thy name is Beth....."

No comments:

Post a Comment