Friday, February 27, 2009

Feb. 27th-Homeless in Houston-The Final Day

"The Lord gave (Marathon)and the Lord has taken away(Marathon); may the name of the Lord be praised." (Job 1:21)
"Shall we accept good from God (Marathon and Shell) and not troubles?"(The loss of the job) (Job 1:10)
"What I feared has come upon me;(no job, no house, no retirement) what I dreaded has happened." (Job 2:25)
"Blessed is the man whom God corects: so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty." (Job 5:17) (How can we despise a God who loves us so much that he wants only the best for us)?

Equatorial Guinea fires security chiefs after clash
25 Feb 2009 14:42:23 GMT 25 Feb 2009 14:42:23 GMT ## for search indexer, do not remove
-->
Source: Reuters
(Adds details, background)
MALABO, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Equatorial Guinea's president has sacked three senior security and defence officials a week after gunmen attacked the oil-producing country's island capital, state media reported.
President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo fired his security minister and the vice-ministers for security and defence, and reshuffled six other senior posts responsible for protecting the volatile Gulf of Guinea state, state media said late on Tuesday.
The Feb. 17 attack triggered several hours of fighting near the presidential palace. Obiang was away from Malabo at the time. His government accused militants from nearby Nigeria's Niger Delta of mounting the attack.
Nicolas Obama Nchama was named as the new security minister while Julian Ondo Nkulu and Vicente Ella Olomo, were named vice ministers of security and defence, respectively.
At a rally meant to shore up national unity over the weekend, Obiang said that the authorities were aware of the identities of locals who had been helping the attackers by guiding them by telephone.
Obiang has ruled the former Spanish colony, which pumps around 380,000 barrels of oil per day, since he toppled his uncle in a palace coup in 1979.
Last week Spain said the attack appeared to be criminal in nature. Gunmen operating in the Niger Delta have become increasingly bold, launching a seaborne raid on banks in Bata, a town on Equatorial Guinea's mainland, in December 2007.
Delta militants denied any role in last week's attack. (Writing by David Lewis; Editing by Louise Ireland)

So, maybe in some way a small justice was done in this little part of the Dark Continent. Only God will know the outcome.

I didn't post yesterday, as I probably was at the lowest point since this entire thing happened. Yesterday was the day that my wonderful, strong, brave husband had to go through the worst humiliation a man can endure. Being involuntarily terminated. And Jim took it like a true true Marine and the man he is. If I only had half his character in my little finger. It's so very hard to watch the person you love have to endure injustices, but that was our day, that was our duty.

I awoke to the above information that the evil little Vice minister of Security who had accused Jim of planning this stupid coup had been fired along with three of his minions. I got excited thinking that maybe justice had been served, and now we could return to our lives, and Jim the job he loved. That would have been an easy fix to this drama. I called him and told him about it. He didn't know about the latest news as he was on his way to the office. He called the manager of Marathon over in EQ and asked him if there was now a possibility he could return. There was again, a resounding "NO!" This has been the strangest thing. I've said before, Marathon really came after Jim to get him, and this one little thing happened and through a series of sheer stupid blunders, Jim is the only one that is really suffering; it's almost as we have been declared persona non grata not only from Equatorial Guinea, but also from Marathon. Things still don't make sense, but in the end, Jim and I both believe God's hand is in this and we have to trust Him.

Anyway, back to my whining-I went with Jim down to the Marathon International HQ to the HR. As we came into the monolith tower, we both just looked at each other; I couldn't stop the tears, as I know we were both thinking the same thing-remembering our coming there in September excited about this new journey, this new opportunity, and feeling Marathon's caring and all the things they were giving us just to get Jim to come to work for him. They spared no expense, met our every need. That seems like a million years ago (was it only five months)?

We went up to the 37th floor and the HR office. Two HR personnel sat with us and explained our TAP (basically involuntary separation and benefits). It was very sterile, by the book, and very difficult to watch my husband who is the epitome of "doing the right thing" and being so strong, have to endure this. But, I will say, he did it like a true officer and gentleman. There was not one bit of anger, bitterness, or whining. He is the consumate professional. My heart was breaking for him.

After enduring that, we then drove back to the office where Jim has been working at AMPCO (one of the subsidiaries of Marathon). It' s a smaller company with a smaller staff. Jim introduced me to the people who work there. He had told me that they had been very kind to him. The ladies had organized a pizza party, and we all sat around the conference table. They gave Jim a card, Paul Michele the President of the company, said a few words, and Jim was very strong as he thanked each of them for being so kind to us during this difficult time. I also apologized to Paul privately. He's the one I mentioned in a previous blog that I had gone off on at dinner one night when his wife had told me he had influence with the EQ government. He has been kinder to us than anyone and put his money where his mouth is by paying for this transition. Marathon certainly hadn't done it, but I suppose all the $ comes out of the same pot in the end.

After that, we left, and I just fell apart. I think I cried for two hours on and off. I'm still teary as I write this missive. Jim continues to have faith in our God that we will get through this. Deep down in my soul, I believe that, too. But it's just this interim that bothers me so. I love comfort. I love routine. I love having our home, flowers, staying home and relaxing with Jim, and just watching Andy Griffith! Now, for an undetermined amount of time, we are just moving in a direction. So, here's what our plans are after we leave Houston tomorrow.

We'll drive to Dallas, drop off our excess bags at Jim's brother's house. Spend the night the fly to Sacramento. Rent a car. Hopefully, we will get a room on base at TRAVIS AFB. Monday, pick up our car, tow it to the Honda dealer for repair, then we'll drive to Pasadena. Jim has a job interview. I'm not thrilled about this upcoming possibility, but I shan't say any more at the moment. I asked God not to let this opportunity happen, but in the end, "Not my will, but Thy will be done." I think this is our Garden of Gesthemane. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking into the mouth of the lion. But I do remember that God was in the fiery furnace with Shadack, Mishak, and Abednigo. So, I'm sure if this is the path we have to take, He will go with us.

After that evolution, we'll drive back to Sacramento, pick up our car, then head to WA to accept delivery of our Household goods that were stored in San Jose. We'll stay with our wonderful Angels, Ed & Chere who are letting us stay with them for a few days. Ed's heading to Iraq, so it will be good to be with them before he heads over. They have been such dear people to us and also our property managers of our condo.

Then, we'll drive back to Dallas, pick up our bags, and head to Jim's moms in Florida. We'll be there for an undetermined time-if Jim takes this other job, we'll leave the end of March; if not, then we'll be there until Jim gets another job.

I am not anticipating this entire month, but I know that we will get through it with God's help, lots of friends and family who have shown unconditional love, and each other.

I will start a new blog called "Making Meaning out of Madness" and enter as I have internet access and time. This has been quite healing just writing my thoughts and getting some kind of clarity.

So, we've been rejected, cut off, but blessed with friends we never knew, family that has kept us in prayers, lots of angels in every corner to ease our burdens and most of all we have been blessed with each other. I told Jim last night, there is no place I would rather be than with him while he is going through this. I am excited to see how he will "land on his feet." His mom always tells the story of when he played football in high school, would get knocked down, bloodied, and get up and keep on playing the game. I would say that pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment